Permian Teacher Receives District Award

Chemistry+teacher+Dr.+Rebecca+Joy+receives+her+award+from+Communications+Director+Mike+Adkins.+

Courtesy of Delesa Styles

Chemistry teacher Dr. Rebecca Joy receives her award from Communications Director Mike Adkins.

Yanitza Martinez, Staff Writer

Chemistry teacher Rebecca Joy has been honored as the ECISD’s Secondary Teacher of the Year for 2019-20. 

Considering how this entire year has been, this award is a sunflower in a field of stickers,” Joy said. “It is an honor to be awarded this because I work really hard to give my students the best possible education in chemistry. I love this very intense subject, and love it even more when students ‘get it’. This award acknowledges the time and effort that I dedicate to preparing my students for college and/or careers, and I greatly appreciate that.” 

Joy has taught at Permian for eight years. Overall she has been a teacher for 13 years, teaching both high school and college-level chemistry and biochemistry. 

“I was fortunate enough to have Dr. Joy as a teacher and also to be placed in her class. Although her class was very challenging we had some fun lab/experiments that were exciting,” junior Loretta Lujan said. “I believe that Dr. Joy really deserved the secondary teacher award because of the way she taught to the point where each student was able to understand the difficult topics and the knowledge she shared with her students. Having her as a teacher was such an amazing but difficult experience.”