Mojo Messenger

• September 5Yearbooks are available at www.Walsworthyearbooks.com. The price is $55 until Oct. 1.

• September 5Lifetouch will be taking pictures: Juniors 9/11, Sophomores 9/12, and Freshmen 9/13. Picture Day ID: GE508082Y0

Panthers Start with Win

Bailee Fuller, Staff Writer

***Opinion pieces reflect the opinion of the writer only, and not the opinion of the newspaper staff, student body, administration or school faculty.***

Permian’s touchdown in the last quarter won the first game of this season 28-24 against Austin Vandegrift. Although the Panthers are never without heart, it still has a long way to go before they are living up to the standard of Friday Night Lights. With five fumbles, recovering two, they saved the game in the last quarter by making a very good play-action pass where senior Steve Steen completed a throw to junior Justin Hammond for a 23-yard touchdown in the last quarter.

Permian’s defense on the other hand remained strong throughout the game. The Vipers did not have a short field position, but coverage in the secondary could still use some improvement. Through all this Permian still managed to take the victory in the season opening game leaving them (1-0) and on a path to better improvement.

The Panthers will take on El Paso Franklin for their next game Sept. 8 at Ratliff stadium. Kick off is at 7 p.m.