New Garden Club Revives Outdoor View

Yanitza Martinez, 2021-22 Editor-n-Chief

As students are coming back to school, many clubs are making a comeback. The Garden Club is one of them, it became a club back in 2019, but due to COVID-19, the club had to take a break.

The Garden Club takes place at the Botanical Garden on V hall. Meetings are every Tuesday and Thursday after school. To become a member of the club all you need is to attend the meetings and commit to helping out. The club is always looking for volunteers, and students can earn Texas scholar hours. 

“This is going to be a lot of work, we are hoping that the garden can be completely clean and pretty by the summer of 2022” sponsor Luis Fuentes said. 

The Garden Club gets together in the hope to clean and bring back the beauty of the Botanical Garden. Members have flooded the garden and have pulled weeds, along with picking up the trash that has accumulated after years of neglect.  

“After I leave I hope that it continues to be a club where students can make it their own,”  junior Alyssa Beseril said. 

After the garden is completed members hope to be able to make it a tourist attraction during the summer. By adding sculptures and student work. 

“We are going to be bringing artists from all over the country to show his or her work here alongside student work. It’s going to be something that will be constantly evolving,” Fuentes said. 

Members who join have the chance of earning a club t-shirt when they work on the garden for a certain amount of hours. Officer members get their t-shirt when they join. Members can also earn graduation cords, scholarships and letterman jackets.