How New Students Perceive Permain

School new to more than just Freshmen

Samantha Faul, Staff Writer

Humans are creatures of habit. People tend to get caught up in doing things a certain way and become comfortable with the way these things are done. After developing these habits, it’s jarring to suddenly have to change the “norm” for any reason, be it in or out of people’s hands. High school is a big change just from eighth grade to ninth, but it doesn’t seem many people take into account how a new school feels for a junior.

Permian is a school most kids don’t expect to have to integrate to. Most of the new students this year are coming from smaller schools, with Permian doubling if not tripling the school size that student may be coming from.

Junior Jada Bragg said, “The hardest thing adjusting to Permian is definitely the size of the school. Honestly, I think I’ve been touched more in these past three weeks than I’ve been touched in my entire life.”

The halls are very crowded, leaving hardly any room where one student ends and the next begins.

“Permian is way bigger than my other school. There was about 300 people that went to my school before here. Permian is definitely bigger,” junior Roxanne Davila said.

Many new students found it hard to transition into a school of Permian’s size.

“Honestly, my transition was pretty hard,” Bragg said. “But then I ended up making three really good friends and it’s all been really good. Everything’s good and I really like the school.”

According to Bragg, things might have been smoother with a little help.

“I think they should implement a buddy system because coming from a really small school to a school as big as Permian is a complete shell shock and having someone who’s used to this to be a friend and help you through it would definitely make the transfer easier,” Bragg said.

There are a lot of things students of Permian High would like to change, whether it be the size of the classrooms or the amount of space there is in the hallway, but the new kids have a few other ideas.

“I would change the way they organized the students and classes,” Davila  says.

As easy as it is to focus on the negatives of changing schools, there’s always positives that follow.

“The best thing about Permian was getting to make new friends,” Davila said. “The hardest thing to adjust to was needing help and no one offering to help.”

“The best thing about Permian so far is there’s a choice for lunch, I mean varieties instead of getting stuck with the same one gross thing,” Bragg said.

Often people become content with life and can be thrown off when change hits so suddenly, but that’s also ironically the best part about change. Change allows new doors to open, meet new people who can help students get ahead in life and offer new friendships that last a lifetime. If students stay in their comfort zone too long, they become too comfortable and stop striving to achieve and that’s what life’s about. Students strive to better themselves and Permian is just one of those amazing new opportunities to grow and achieve, so to all of the new friends, welcome to Permian.